Best Buy Geek Squad Black Tie Protection Review
If you purchase any electronic device such as an Apple iPhone, iPad, Android or other smartphone, Best Buy offers Geek Squad coverage online or in its stores. Coverage is limited to Best Buy customers only and must be activated within 30 days of purchase. It is similar to options Best Buy sells for other electronics.
The Best Buy plan is expensive upfront, but its comprehensive coverages covers most of your everyday insurance needs with no deductibles. One of the key benefits is that this protection is backed by brick and mortar stores that are within driving distance to most consumers. You also get the benefit of the Geek Squad’s customer support network.
Geek Squad Coverage Details
The Geek Squad coverage has your back for almost anything than can go wrong. Its geared toward newbies and power users. The only thing we see that you might need is lost or theft protection. If you’re prone to losing things, another provider would be a better choice.
Here are the key details:
- ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE FROM HANDLING: If you drop or spill on your mobile phone in the course of normal use, they’ll cover the cost of your repair.
- NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR: This includes repair costs for normal wear and tear, including defects in materials or workmanship and failures due to dust, internal heat and humidity.
- POWER SURGE REPAIR: They handle the repair costs for equipment failure due to a power surge or fluctuation.
- BATTERY REPLACEMENT: They’ll replace your original battery once during the life of your plan if your original one goes kaput.
- NO LEMON POLICY: If your product requires four qualified repairs, you’ll receive a comparable replacement.
- GOOD MAINTENANCE REWARD: If your plan goes unused, get double the Reward Zone® program points on the original plan purchase price.
- PHONE/WEB SUPPORT: Get 24/7 troubleshooting and phone/web support for the life of your plan.
You can transfer your coverage to another owner. If you plan on reselling your phone within the coverage time, this could be a value bonus.
The accidental damage plan covers damage from small accidents. If you drop your phone from a balcony or skyscraper, this plan does not apply.
The 2 Year Geek Squad iPhone 4S 16GB Protection is $229.98 (price may vary depending on make and model and other promotions). This makes is one of the most expensive upfront plans. However, there are no deductibles if you have a problem. Most of the other plans charge $50-$150 deductibles.